Monday, June 21, 2010

Grand Canyon, Part 2

We made a lot of miles the first day. This is the Navajo Bridge that we walked to from the lodge, scene here from the river.
We had lunch at mile 14 above sheer wall rapid. Cold sandwich buffet with different meats and cheeses, always fresh lettuce and tomato, various chips and cookies.

This is one of the rapids we ran, probably one of the roaring twenties.
We camped at Shinumo Wash, mile 29. Since we didn't hike the first day, Karma 4 and I wandered and explored the campsite, hoping to find our way into a side canyon. We found the side canyon, but requires ropes to climb. It was very pretty though.
We wandered the rest of the beach, ran into some bugs on the far side, and came back to camp for a steak dinner.
In the morning, camp was beautiful.

This was my little campsite.
I had a problem with ravens... as in, they unzipped my bag and removed some of my stuff. I don't think they actually took anything, but I'm not sure what they were after.
Breakfast was eggs to order and sausage, with fruit and english muffins. Watching the boatmen try to crash eggs as they threw them into the river was really funny entertainment too ^_^


No comments:

Post a Comment