Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Seven Quick Takes

1. Classes have started and they are fun so far! I have awesome professors (more on that below) and they seem really interesting. Most excited about a case study class I'm taking in infectious diseases, we basically focus on a case a week and figure out how to work up out-breaks :D

2. My roommate is pretty awesome. She's invited me to things, helped me figure out where to park on campus, texted me today about a really bad traffic back-up near campus so I could avoid it, etc. We've had some fun conversations around the condo too. Good times.

3. Not only am I in a world of fellow students that went to top schools as undergrads, I'm in a world of professors that are experts in their field. As in, been working in AIDS since it was discovered, or worked on AIDS in Africa for 20 years, or worked in Asia eradicating smallpox for 15 years, or head of the Emory-wide center for global safe water, or former head of the entire country of Mexico's program on AIDS. It's awesome and intimidating at the same time. Makes it harder to work up the nerve to talk to them after class as I try to find a part-time job and/or research opportunities.

4. My Garmin has been doing great helping me get around Atlanta. Until tonight. When I asked it to find a Target, it dropped me in a residential neighborhood in the woods. Wtf Garmin?! It was so random. And it was like 8:30pm so it was dark. Luckily I found my way out and was mostly laughing to myself, but seriously? I think this is the 2nd time my Garmin has tried to kill me. Last fall on the way back from Amy's wedding it told me to turn left at a light... into oblivion. There was no road there! Dark and in the rain didn't help. So although I like my Garmin, I'm not sure the word describing our relationship is trust.

5. I've attended Clairemont Presbyterian Church twice and I think I might join a small group. The people there seem really nice and down to earth, and I like how the service is very scripturally based and worshipful. And when the pastor says in her sermon, "And at this point we are wondering what David was smoking..." its a good church =)

6. I'm trying to figure out what to do over the long weekend. I want to go to Six Flags but obviously not by myself. Other ideas include finding places to hike, exploring bike trails, and scrap-booking. Oh, and of course watching the Hokies play on Monday =)

7. I met some cool people, including a lot of returned peace corps volenteers (RPCV)s and other masters international (MI) students like me, on Friday night. I went to cocktails at the Fernbank, or whatever the event is called. Basically for about $7 you get into the museum from 5-? with a cash bar and you can buy IMAX tickets too. There's something cool about sipping a cosmo under a dinosaur skeleton. Afterwards we went to a Mexican restaurant because the food at the museum was very expensive. But it was an interesting experience =)

No comments:

Post a Comment