Sunday, June 19, 2011

Not currently on fire

The short version: I'm not positive it's malaria so I'm going to get a few more tests run tomorrow to make sure its not something I would need antibiotics for or another drug.  I'm still running a low grade fever 2x a day, but I haven't felt on fire in about 24 hours (but that could change with a moments notice).

All of the Ghanians are taking good care of me and are sure its malaria and I need to eat more and give it time.  The Americans and Danes are worried its something else and want me to see another doctor. 

I'm in the middle, I wonder why my fever still comes and goes, so I'm okay with verifying its not something else. 

Also, quinine is a really rough drug to be on.  Just saying.  My ears are ringing, I'm exhausted, dizzy, my vision was funky yesterday, and my blood sugar drops every now and then.  These are all expected side effects of the drug and I'll only be worried if they don't go away when I stop taking it.  But damn.  It rivals the actual malaria in how it makes me feel :P

I spent today at Diana's house because it was her father's birthday in addition to fathers day.  Her family is great and I have a room there for the summer, so I could go lie down when I needed to.  And her mother is a fantastic cook; I ate more at dinner than I think I have in the last 2 days total.  And I was getting a serious case of cabin fever being cooped up here at Denmark house, so it was great to get out.

More tomorrow in the saga of the sicky.  Try not to worry, I've got people on 3 continents looking out for me :)

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it is time for a med-evac back home. If good thoughts could cure you, you would be well. So good that you have a family to give you TLC. My love, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, take care of yourself!!
    I hope y'all can figure out whatever it is. I think malaria is typically associated with a crazy high fever, and in my experience you don't actually feel hot, you feel very freezing cold. That sounds weird. I hope you figure out what it is so you can treat it!!

    ReplyDelete