Sunday, December 15, 2013

Botho Festival

Some volunteers in Gabs (there are a bunch of volunteers that extended for a third year that live in Gabs) organized an art and craft festival with the theme of Botho. Botho is Botswana's national value of respect; I think it translates to 'I am because we are'.
So there were artists selling their crafts, lots of kids activities, and different things to raise awareness and celebrate Botho.


I helped by teaching kids (and some adults) to make friendship bracelets. 

Singing and dancing for the kids. 

My friend Kagiso from my village came to teach bracelet making too. I taught her all the patterns I know and she's already made up several of her own, trying to start a small business.

I managed to take the cutest picture on the planet.

Making bracelets.

Playing games led by Nina.

A cool art sculpture of a Baibab tree made from used ARV (anti-retro virals, HIV medicine) bottles. 

It was a fun day and gave me an excuse to stay in Gabs an extra day after IST :)

No comments:

Post a Comment