Sunday, December 8, 2013

Thanksgiving

 I didn't exactly have a traditional Thanksgiving.


My school had a staff wellness day on Wednesday, but the food didn't come on time, so we had the food on Thanksgiving.


So I got a Thanksgiving feast of Setswana food.


My teachers thought it was funny that I wanted my picture taken with my plate of food.

Seswa (pounded beef), coleslaw, beet, potato salad, and rice.

I also got to talk to my dad's entire side of the family on Thursday night, because they had dinner at my mom's house. That made my day/week/month.

After the AIDS walk on Saturday, I went to my friend Luis' village for a more traditional Thanksgiving dinner with a bunch of other PCVs. We had a ton of food, including turkey, Jambalaya, veggies, mac'n'cheese, and 2 pies. It was amazing. 

There was also a baby cow on Luis' compound. 

Apparently it's mom died so the family is trying to bottle feed it until it's big enough to stay with the herd. Currently it's about the size of a dog. We named it Mooster. Mooster liked to follow us everywhere, including in the house, which is a problem since he's not house-broken. (I mean, he is a cow.) So we keep hearing/yelling "Cow!! Cow out of the house!!"  Mooster also has a habit of sneaking up behind you and sticking his face between your legs trying to nurse. This makes sense, as that is where vows keep their milk. But for humans it's a little disconcerning and hilarious to watch. 

Mooster

Sunday morning we took a tour of Luis' village, starting with the 1000 year old Baobab tree. 

We also saw some one-two thousand year old rock paintings.

Giraffes!

His village is really pretty.  After the rock paintings most of us headed to Gabs for medical stuff before our training later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment