Friday, January 24, 2014

Christmas in the Southwest (of Botswana)

I started a 2-week adventure a few days before Christmas, going to Tsabong, Gakibane, and Makopong. In Tsabong we rode camels, which will be another post. 

We started the trip with decadence (aka fruit on a long journey).

We stayed with Ashley in her village with sand dunes! So we picnicked on the dunes (the food got a little sandy).

We went hiking around (that's South Africa in the background) and found seashells from hundreds if not thousands of years ago.

Goats on the sand dunes!

In Makopong we started preparing for Christmas. No one got a cat for Christmas, he just liked to lie on the presents.

Our lovely tree, complete with lights, snow (a boa), and stringed popcorn.

Katy hand sewed us stockings with our names on them!

They found chocolate in their stockings!

Unwrapping joy Christmas morning


Liz is happy

Ashley F and Jess C Unwrapping goodies.

I got jelly beans! (I know I'm wearing the same thing in several pictures- we did laundry. I promise I changed clothes daily.)

Kitty had a stocking

Our snow sand man

A traditional Botswana feast for Christmas dinner, courtesy of the family on Jess's compound.

We made gingerbread houses with cookie and icing. This is my artistic depiction of my current Bots house.

I stuck my toe in South Africa.

Hanging out in Makopong, right on the border with SA

This is Jess's thinking spot, it's really pretty.

And... I don't even know :)

Next stop, Namibia!

No comments:

Post a Comment