Saturday, October 20, 2012

My site is Salajwe!

So I've gotten my site announcement, and it's Salajwe!  From what I know, it's a village of around 1700 just south of the Central Kalahari Game Reserve.  There is a primary school, junior secondary school and clinic, as well as 1-2 shops.  My shopping village is Molepolole, which is 2-3 hours away depending finding a hitch.   Luckily I think I can get non-perishables in my village, so I can stock up on vegetables when I go to Moleps.
I'll be working with the junior secondary school, which is ages 13-15ish, heavy on the ish.  Of the 750 kids at the school, 600 of them board there.
I don't know anything about my living situation yet, but there is another volunteer in my village who works at the clinic, so she is trying to scope that out for me.  Salajwe is not on a tarred (paved road), so I think I take a khombi (minibus that seats about 14) and then hitch hike the rest of the way.  Hitching is pretty safe here and very common, so don't worry too much about my safety.  Also we don't travel at night, due to drunk drivers and cows (and not always in that order).  If you are going to worry about my safety when traveling, it should be from accidents, not sketchy people picking up hitch-hikers :P
So!  I have a site!  And I get to go there in less than a month.  I'll update with a new address when I procure one.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment