Monday, October 8, 2012

Saturday we went to a village about 45 minutes from Kanye that I guess is sort of a tourist attraction?  They danced for us, had us dance with them, and told us a lot about traditional cultures and practices.  At the end we had lunch there, so I know that PC must have paid them for our visit.
The dancing and singing was really fun to watch, and I hope I can get some people to teach me when I get to my site.  I don't have high hopes for my dancing abilities, but I'd really love to learn some of the songs I've heard in church and when people are working.  Some remind me of the spirituals that are sang in the American south from the time of slavery.  (I know that sounds like a duh since I'm in Africa, but most slaves that were taken from Africa that wound up in America were taken from central and west africa, not southern africa.)
Anyway, the dancers made different people in our group dance with them at different times, including the 'grandfathers', 'grandmothers', and Luis, the only guy in our group under 30.  Then the guys in the dancing group picked girls to dance with, and then we mock married Katy, one of our group, to the chiefs son.  This was complete with her getting to dance with the women a few songs (including one called 'I have a headache'), getting an additional skirt and shawl to wear over her clothes, and having a 'honeymoon' in a traditional hut.  The last thing was hilarious because after they were led into the hut, the older women in our group were invited to peak in the window to 'make sure everything was going ok'.  Apparently this really used to happen, the grandmas spied on the honeymoon to make sure things were happening. :P  The whole thing was funny and slightly awkward and Katy was a really good sport.
We also got a chance to grind some sorghum to make a porridge that's a breakfast food, and buy some jewelry made in the village.  I got a neat necklace with beads that are the colors of the Botswana flag.
After we got back from the cultural visit we had free time, so about half of our group hung out in a cafe in Kanye that we've found called Kohai.

Tomorrow I leave for Ghanzi for a few days, so hopefully I can update in a week about those adventures :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mary Spencer!

    It sounds like you are having a ton of fun. I bet you will be a better dancer by the end of your time. :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete