Thursday, May 9, 2013

Month of Youth Against AIDS

 This is some back-blogging, because describing this without pictures would have been a bit boring. March is designated Youth Against AIDS month, and my school picked March 25th to celebrate with sort of an all-day assembly.  It was after their term final exams, so there wasn't much to do in class anyway.

This is all of the students gathered in the big hall.

Between each 'act' there was an impromptu dance party on and near the stage.

 About 17 different students and student groups sang, danced, rapped, spoke, or demonstrated sports moves, all with the theme of Vision 2016: Zero new HIV infections, zero AIDS related deaths, and zero discrimination.  This was a singing and dancing group.

More dancing than singing with this group.

Traditional dancers getting ready.

Traditional dance! They were really good.

One of my PACT club kids giving a speech.

Another of my PACT club kids as MC.

Guys dance group. Dancing is huge here- all types. 

3-man dance group.

Karate club demonstration.

Boxing club demonstration.

The coolest part of this day was that I didn't do hardly anything to get it together.  My counterpart and I got together with the PACT club to go over logistics, but the kids found all of the student groups to perform.  A great end to my first term here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment