Tuesday, September 2, 2014

6 weeks

I have 6 weeks left of my Peace Corps service. That's just weird. I realized I haven't posted much lately; it's not that I don't have things whirling around my head, it's just that most of those things are complicated and best left for my private journal at this point. When I distill some of those thoughts, I'll post them here eventually. Nothing bad, just all the feels.

I've had a busy few months, and I feel like I haven't been in my village very much. In July I went on 2 weeks vacation with some friends from the States. Came back for a few days, and then went to the capital for my group's Close of Service Conference. Then I came back for a few days, and went BACK to the capital trying to finish the paperwork for the grant I applied for 6 months ago for our May GLOW camp. Then I went to a friend's Harry Potter birthday party and geeked out, which was awesome. Was back for a few days, and then went on vacation to see some friends in the west part of the country. Came back for a few days, and went to the capital AGAIN for close of service medical appointments and then jetted up to help at the Pre Service Training for the new group of volunteers in Serowe. Now I'm back and will actually spend the rest of my service in my village, aside from probably one or two more trips to my shopping village for food and errands.

When I get good internet again, I'll try and post a few pics from both vacations; baby animals and salt pans and friends :) Lately I've been letting other people take the pictures and just letting myself be in the moment. I tend to want to photograph all of the things, but I'm learning that sometimes it's better to just take mental snapshots and/or let others take the pictures.

So these days I'm just soaking up time in my village, teaching classes and trying to figure out how to say goodbye to those I spend time with, whether in conversation or sharing hula hoops. I'm in a good place; happy to be going home, but also happy to enjoy another few weeks in my little slice of the Kalahari.

No comments:

Post a Comment