Sunday, January 13, 2013

First week at school!


The first week of school!
After arriving just as last term ended and then nothing was going on over the holidays, I’ve been looking forward to school starting for a long time.  Here’s the good, the bad, the confusing and the potential.

The good:
- School has started!
- We finally have some firewood
- My counterpart and a few other teachers seem willing to do stuff with me
- I can sit in on classes and start getting to know students
- They already have an active SGA that I might be able to work with
- I got to introduce myself to all of the new form 1 students

The bad:
- There’s still a big lack of furniture and books (and teachers and food and firewood and…)
- They ran out of food and firewood Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and had to send the day students home.  The boarders went hungry until they found food and firewood, which usually happened around 5pm.  This is after not feeding the kids at all Monday, the day they arrived, because the term technically doesn’t start until Tuesday.

The confusing/frustrating:
- All of the directions in the new student orientation were given in Setswana.  The teachers know that these kids don’t understand and speak English (About 30-40 probably do out of 700 something).  But then they still exhort them to study hard and get good marks, in classes that are taught and tested in English.  I don’t get how people either don’t understand that the kids won’t get anything out of lessons in English, or ignore it and pretend like the students just don’t care about school.
- The hungry kids (see above)
- This chaos of the first week, including classes left unattended and lack of food and firewood, apparently happens every year.

The potential:
- We now have at least some firewood, so hopefully we can keep the students for the full day and have PACT club
- There are several clubs/students organizations I might be able to work with
- The teachers and school staff are happy to have me and introduce me to everyone as ‘our Peace Corps Volunteer’
- Some teachers are interested in having me teach a class or help them teach creatively
- We had a guidance and counseling meeting where I got the go ahead for PACT club and we put a few activities on the school calendar
- School has started so I can finally DO something!
- The end of my Peace Corps ‘Community Assessment Phase’, affectionately called Lock Down, is almost over as well.  This means I can start doing projects instead of just observing, and I can leave my village more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment