Saturday, January 19, 2013

Second week, same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit...


better, actually!

It was another busy week, but things are running more smoothly at school.  We apparently have food and firewood, because meals seemed to happen and no one was sent home early.
I got to sit in on several guidance and counseling classes, and then taught 4 of them at the end of the week!  The regular teacher left for 2 days to take care of a sick family member so I covered the remaining classes.  It was kinda fun, a little scary… but since they were mostly form 3s, they seemed to at least understand me for the most part.  The coolest thing was I had them submit questions on anything at the end of class, and I got some really really good questions.  They were very honest, and some of the questions almost made me cry.  Questions about sex, abuse, alcohol, where to get help, suicide, stress, why they don’t have enough teachers.   I have 6 pages of questions to answer and that was only 3 of 18 classes J
I was also able to have PACT club this week, yay!  10 kids showed up, and several had been in PACT before.  This was good because I let them take charge since the teacher helping me was a no-show.  They told me topics they were interested in and planned to talk at the next morning assembly.  Awesome to see kids taking the initiative!
I also interviewed the village chief, police, and social worker during the week.  And made 3 trips to the primary school to meet with their guidance and counseling teacher to plan PACT club for that school.  And finished typing up my community assessment for Peace Corps, which is now the length of a term paper :P
Tomorrow I leave for 2 weeks of Peace Corps training in the capital.  Looking forward to a BED, and a SHOWER, and not cooking for 2 weeks, wooo!  And probably useless training and more language classes J  It’s rained the past 4 days straight, so I was very glad the sun came out for a couple of hours this afternoon to dry my laundry.  It’ll be interesting to see what my dirt road is like tomorrow, and whether I can get out of my village…

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're there, Mary! The questions that they gave you: I know you'll be great at answering them though they are honest and hard. I teared up just reading about you tearing up. I wish you the best bed Botswana can offer!

    Love and blessings,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete